Carolina Mountain Club Archive
|Title||Carolina Mountain Club Archive (1923 - )|
|Creator||Carolina Mountain Club|
|Alt. Creator||Peter Steurer for the Carolina Mountain Club|
|Subject Keyword :||Carolina Mountain Club ; Samuel Robinson ; Jerome Dykeman ; mountaineering ; Appalachian Trail ; Bernard Elias ; Dr. Gaillard [Gail] Tennent ;George Masa ; Chase Ambler ; Peter Steurer ; Archer Nichols ; Jerome Dykeman ; Eloise Whitson ; William T. Kirkman ;|
|Subject LCSH :||Appalachian Mountain Club
Appalachian Trail -- History
Appalachian Trail -- Guidebooks
Carolina Mountain Club
Dykeman, Jerome (d. 1973)
Hiking -- North Carolina
Hiking -- Appalachian Trail
Hiking -- Appalachian Trail -- Planning
Hiking -- Appalachian Region
Kirkman, William T (1923-2000)
Nichols, Archer (d. 1989)
Tennent, Gaillard, Dr. (d. 1953)
Whitson, Eloise (d. 1992)
Carolina Mountain Club (CMC) was established in Asheville, North
Carolina on July 16, 1923. The
focus of the Club is on hiking, building and maintaining trails, and
promoting conservation. The
history of the CMC is a significant part of western North Carolina's heritage
and that of the city of Asheville, NC. It has received national
recognition for actively promoting and protecting the
mountains of North Carolina and eastern Tennessee. In
an effort to preserve this history for future generations, CMC entered into a mutual agreement with the University of North Carolina
at Asheville (UNCA) to house and make accessible the Club’s
collection of historical documents, photographs, and other material.
The CMC archive contains standard administrative, financial and membership information on the club and is remarkably continuous with regard to record-keeping. Three officers of the club were instrumental in retaining core club records and for building the Club's history. Jerome Dykeman, as CMC Historian took on the task of organizing the records in the 1950s and 1960s. In the 1960s and on the death of Dykeman in 1973, Eloise Whitson, the Secretary/Treasurer continued the retention and organization of the records until her death in 1992. In addition to the record-keeping responsibilities of these two officers, Arch Nichols, a member, maintained meticulous files. Mr. Nichols was active in the Club from the 1940s until his death in 1989.
A separate donation of items was made in 2002 by Howard McDonald and these were added on the request of Mr. McDonald to the Carolina Mountain Club Archive as a sub-series to the early papers. These materials include letters of correspondence related to George Masa and to the creation of Masa Knob and other matters related to the Masa estate and his memorial,
|Publisher||D.H. Ramsey Library, Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Asheville 28804|
|Contributor||Jerome Dykeman ; Eloise Whitson ; Arch Nichols ; William Kirkman ;|
|Type||Collection ; Text ; Images|
|Format||28 linear feet|
|Relation||Is related to: William T. Kirkman Photograph Collection, UNCA Special Collections ; Jerome Dykeman Papers, UNCA Special Collections ; Carolina Mountain Club, home page for the active club: http://carolinamtnclub.com/index.html ; Appalachian Mountain Club ; A. Chase Ambler, Jr., Rattlesnake Lodge: A Brief History and Guidebook, http://www.rattlesnakelodge.com/ ; E.M Ball Collection , UNCA Special Collections ; Kirchner, Matthew Michael. "The Carolina Mountain Club's Campaign to Create Shining Rock Wilderness Area", UNCA Senior Papers ; Samuel Robinson Papers (1891-1973) UNCA Special Collections ;|
|Coverage temporal||1923 - present ;|
|Coverage spatial||Asheville, NC ; western North Carolina|
Any display, publication, or public use must credit the D.H. Ramsey Library, Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Asheville.
Copyright retained by the creators of certain items in the collection, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
|Donor||Donor number #184|
|Citation||Carolina Mountain Club Archive, D.H. Ramsey Library, Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Asheville 28804.|
|Processed by||Peter Steurer, CMC Historian, 10-12/2002 ; D.H. Ramsey Library Special Collections staff, 01/2003|
Mountain Club :
Overview: The Carolina Mountain Club (CMC) was established in Asheville, North Carolina on July 16, 1923. The history of CMC is a significant part of our local heritage and has also resulted in a national influence in promoting and protecting the mountains of North Carolina. In an effort to preserve this history for future generations, CMC has entered into a mutual agreement with the University of North Carolina at Asheville (UNCA) to house and make accessible the Club’s collection of historical documents, photographs, and other material. The collection will be housed as part of the Special Collections & University Archives of the D. Hiden Ramsey Library at UNCA (http://toto.lib.unca.edu/) under the category Manuscripts. Long-time club member Bernard Elias initiated the agreement with Helen Wykle, Coordinator of Special Collections at UNCA. CMC Historian Pete Steurer agreed to organize and inventory the collection, and present it to UNCA. The collection was presented to UNCA in two batches in December 2002.
Description of Collection: The Club has a rich and diverse history which has involved the three main activities of hiking, building and maintaining trails, and promoting conservation. Since CMC never had a physical office, the club’s records have been relocated throughout its history. The full details of these relocations have not been documented. It is known that since the 1990s, the CMC records were transferred from CMC club president to president. CMC president, Howard McDonald, retained the collection after his term and has provided stewardship since 1998. In October 2002, Pete Steurer acquired the records from Mr. McDonald and began to the process of organizing the collection for presentation to UNCA.
The CMC collection prior to reorganization consisted of three 2-drawer file cabinets, one 4-drawer file cabinet and numerous boxes of assorted sizes. After reorganization, the collection presented to UNCA consists of 19 boxes.
With some exceptions, much of the historical information that one would expect a club to have retained has been found in the CMC collection. This is remarkable, considering that most CMC officers changed every few years, and without a physical office, there was a greater likelihood for important information to be lost. It is quite likely that three CMC members were instrumental in maintaining the history. CMC Historian Jerome Dykeman took on the task of organizing the records in the 1950s and 1960s. He died in 1973. His outstanding work is evident in the collection today. Beginning in the 1960s and continuing until her death in 1992, Eloise Whitson held office of CMC treasurer and/or secretary. This long-term commitment to CMC is evident in the collection, in terms of the continuity she provided to new officers and the data stewardship shown in her outstanding record keeping. Arch Nichols was an integral part of CMC from the 1940s until his death in 1989. He led many conservation efforts and kept meticulous files. These files are largely intact and are an integral part of the CMC history.
Reorganization of the CMC Collection: Standard archival practices allow for records to be maintained in the original order that they were produced. Unfortunately, the original order of the CMC collection was not retained. This was likely due to the frequent movement of the records as well as the document searches that occurred over the years by CMC members and guests. To bring order to the collection, it was decided to determine record series groups and place the collection in chronological order within upon each record series. A record series is a broad classification or grouping of similar records. The record series groups that were determined for the CMC collection are listed in the following table. The table also includes an estimate of the historic value of the records within the series and the physical box number for the original record containers when they were transferred to UNCA: