Harrison B. Brown
First Lieutenant Harrison B. Brown Company K was born in Haywood County N.C. in 1858. He was educated in the Episcopal Parochial School in Asheville where he lives now. He taught school in Hendersonville, N.C. for five years and was a teacher in some of the early schools in Asheville. He worked in the Office of the Collector of Internal Revenue from 1889 to 1893, having devoted his time to the study of law, was in 1896 admitted to the bar to practice before all the courts of the state. He was commissioned June 23, 1898.
His law practice office was at #4 Court Square, which is now Pack Square. In addition, he was heavily engaged in educational activities, such as teaching, principleships, and other things that were connected with teaching and education. He also had a publishing business, together with Thomas L. Leatherwood. This was a very successful business, with a popular weekly newspaper, and many other interesting circulations.
Harrison Brown owned quite a bit of property in and around Asheville. His residence was on Cherry Street where he lived with his wife and five children. As a lawyer and businessman he made it possible for many blacks to own their own homes and businesses. Professor Brown was truly a great leader of his people.