Doctor Charles Arthur Edington
Taken from Dr. Edington's Retirement Service, January 24, 1960
Charles Arthur Edington was born at Loudon, Tenn., April 10, 1889, the third child of Joseph and Sarah Edington. He attended the public schools of Loudon and Greenville College where he remained only a short while. After completing his high school training at the age of sixteen, he entered Swift Memorial College where he graduated with the A.B. degree, majoring in mathematics and philosophy. After his graduation he taught for two years at his Alma Mater.
The Ministry bore heavily on his mind; he was largely influenced by the Rev. Thompson of Sweetwater, Tenn., a minister in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He decided to enter Lincoln University, from which institution he graduated with the S.T.B. and M.A. degrees in 1915. After leaving Lincoln Rev. Edington served as assistant to Dr. Charles Trustee at Pittsburgh, Pa. Leaving Pittsburgh after a short stay, he was called to Rogersville, Tenn., where he served as pastor to St. Mark's Church and as Dean of Swift Memorial College and teacher of mathematics.
In 1925 Rev. Edington succeeded Dr. Franklin as Stated Clerk and Treasurer of the Rogersville Presbytery which position he held until the merger of the Blue Ridge and Mid-South Synods. The Men of the Presbytery also elected him as chairman of National Missions of the Presbytery and the Synod: Registrar of the Blue Ridge Summer Conference and Chairman of United Promotion.
In 1920 Rev. Edington was called to Sweetwater, Tenn., to lay the groundwork for a proposed high school. He served in this field until the call came from Calvary in 1934. He served faithfully at Calvary until his resignation became effective December 31, 1959.
In recognition of his work in the field of religion Johnson C. Smith University conferred the Doctor of Divinity degree upon Rev. Edington in 1952. Because of his interest in the community, Rev. Edington is often referred to as the "Pastor of Eagle St." He has been financial advisor to most of the businesses of Eagle and Market Streets. He was for many years a member of the Y.M.C.A. Board of Management and of the Red Cross. During World War II, he served as a Chaplain at Camp Croft, S.C.
Rev. Edington was united in marriage to Miss Della Mae Reid on the day after her graduation in 1923. To this union four children were born.
The eldest daughter, Marie, is married to Charles Chisolm. She is a teacher of mathematics at Stephens-Lee High School. She is the mother of two sons, Andrew Augustus and Robert James Allen.
Arthur Reid is married to the former Helen Moseley. They have two children, La Juana and Charles Arthur II. He is the principal of a school in McRae, Ga.
Horace Clifford is married to the former Louise Caldwell. He is a social worker and is currently studying at the Atlanta School of Social Work. His two children are Sharon Delease and Horace Clifford, Jr.
The youngest daughter, Sarah Elizabeth, is married to James Houston III, and is employed in the Charlotte City School System.
After Dr. Edington's twenty-five years of service at Calvary, the community is blessed to have him and Mrs. Edington select Asheville as their permanent home.