|ILLUSTRATIONS USED IN "PACK: A NAME THAT WILL ENDURE" EXHIBIT|
|*A list of images with description used in the exhibit now located in D.H. Ramsey Library 2nd Floor Gallery through September 1, 2006. Images are drawn from the collections of Asheville-Buncombe County Library [Pack Library], UNCA Special Collections, and the Pack Square Conservancy.|
|PACK LIBRARY COLLECTIONS|
|A004-5||Taylor and Jones, Stereo View "Looking Down Patton Avenue from the Courthouse" Photo believed to be circa 1881-82, which is the time that Taylor & Jones were believed to have been in business together in Asheville. Covered Wagons (Schooner type) in front. (Pack Library ID A004-5)|
|1876 Court House (Courtesy Pack Library ID A006-5)|
|A006-5||1876 Court House (Courtesy Pack Library ID A006-5)|
|A006-5uc||1876 Court House (Courtesy Pack Library ID A006-5)|
|A136-5||L Miller, Photo of site preparation for the Akzona Building on Pack Square, about 1978. Looking south and west, with the Northwestern Building (currently BB&T Building) to the right, Vance Monument and buildings on the SW side of the Square in background. Chamber of Commerce photo by L. Miller. (Pack Library ID A136-5)|
|A138-8||Buncombe County Courthouse, facing College Street,1903. This was the seventh Courthouse and this photo was taken around 1927-1929, just before it was torn down. The land for this courthouse was given to the county by George Willis Pack. The current courthouse was built in 1927. Davis written on the back and believed to be donor. (Pack Library ID A138-8)|
|A143-8M||View of Asheville City Hall (1926, #70 Court Plaza) and Buncombe County Courthouse 1928; #80 Court Plaza) decorated with bunting. (Pack Library ID 143-8M)|
|A156-8M||Buncombe County Courthouse (1928), Asheville City Hall (1926), and city-county plaza. The dome of the First Baptist Church is visible on far left. Estimated date in 1928, shortly after opening of buildings. Photo is numbered bottom right but is damaged and only initial "O" is left. E0023 is original 8" x 10" negative and number 0-5265 can be read behind ink. Believed to be by George Masa, and shot same day as A150-8M and A155-8M based on vehicles and landscapers. Copy neg. made 6/01. (Pack Library ID 156-8M)|
|A176-8M||Jackson Building (Pack Sq. S #11) built in 1924 for L.B. Jackson by architect Ronald Greene, Asheville's first "skyscraper." At left Asheville City Hall (1892). At right, the Westall Building (#20), an 8-story Neo-Spanish Romanesque style designed also by Ronald Greene for W.H. Westall, and planned as part of the Jackson Building. Commerce Building (#18) further to the right. Date prior to 1926 when the City Hall was demolished. May be a George Masa photograph. (Pack Library ID A176-8M)|
|A372-5||Firemen fighting the Oates Building Fire at Night in February, 1967.The 4-story Oates Building was built in 1907. At the time of the it fire housed Pack Square Pharmacy; the estimated loss figure was $150,000. (Courtesy Pack Library ID A372-5)|
|A703-5K||Exterior view of Bank Hotel. Located by Pack Square, circa 1860. It was built by James M. Alexander. (Courtesy Pack Library ID A703-5K)|
|B089-5||Stereoview of Pack Square North from the Western Hotel, ca. 1883-1888?. Buildings (L to R) Buck Hotel around the corner at far left on Main St. N/Broadway (future site of Langren Hotel) and on Pack Square N: Graham (Charles Edward) & Redwood (Henry) at #2, J.J. Hill & Co. Furniture Dealers (note chair on the roof) #4, I. Levy's Dry Goods Store (#6) and W.T. Weaver's Dry Goods Store (#8). Published by Nat W. Taylor, Land of the Sky, Beauties of WNC and NE GA. (Pack Library ID B089-5)|
|B097-8||Herbert W. Pelton, View west from Courthouse, 1886?/ At left on Main Street S. (Now Biltmore Avenue) with buildings of Cooper Grocer; Brevard & Blanton Grocers; Campbell Real Estate; Powell & Snider, Grocers; Johnston Building, Ballard Bros.; and Jones & Shuford, Law Office (Pack Library ID B097-8)|
|B136-8||Herbert W. Pelton, Pack Square looking west down Patton Avenue, 1913. Fountain and Vance Monument center. Many pedestrians, streetcars, a few carriages, and very few automobiles on the street. Buildings include restaurants, pharmacies, book, tailor, barber shop, shoe store, legal, hotel, dry goods, pool room, weather bureau and a club (among others) (Pack Library ID B136-8)|
|B146-5||Patton Avenue in the 1960's. " View east along Patton Ave from between Lexington and Church Sts. towards Pack Sq. Vance Monument, City Hall, and the top of the Jackson Bldg in the center background, under the "Yield Right of Way to Pedestrians" sign hanging over crosswalk in the foreground. On the right (R. to L.): Imperial Theater (#32; where "Mardi Gras" is playing), Lee's Jewelers (#30), Efird's Department Store (#24-28), and the Man Store (#$18-22) before Lexington Ave. S. Sign for Cancellation Shoe Store before the square (#4 Biltmore? Ave. in CD). On the left (l to R): Eckerd's (#31), Ken Jewelers (#27), Kinney Shoe Store (#25), and the Kress Bldg. (#21-23) before Lexingtron Ave. N., then Miles Shoes (#17), Charles Stores Co. (#11), and The Bootery (#9) before the Barnard (aka Revell) Bldg on the corner at the square. By Eckerd's sign is a sign for Benrus Watches, a product not a store (Ken Jewelers) (Pack Library B146-5).|
|B441-xx||Herbert W. Pelton and Benjamin Porter. Pack Square from the Legal Building. Pelton copy ca. 1910. Contemporary reprint by Ben Porter. (Pack Library ID B441-xx).|
|B468-8||Herbert W. Pelton, View of Patton Avenue towards the square, with horse-drawn carriages on the dirt street. Buncombe County Courthouse (1876) center. First YMCA (1879) on the left. Date given 1879 but written 1884 (Pack Library ID B468-8)|
|B476-5||Herbert W. Pelton, 1879. Patton Avenue Compliments of Aston, Stike Leather Co. Insurance, Asheville, N.C. (Pack Library ID B476-5)|
|B476-5||1879 Patton Avenue Compliments of Aston, Stikeleather Co. Insurance, Asheville, N.C. (Pack Library ID B476-5)|
|B477-8||View up Patton Avenue from Haywood Street toward square. Courthouse (1876) with bell tower in background. Black man driving a wagon sitting in front of dentist's office. Street car tracks in unpaved street. Drhumor Building built in 1895. Estimated date 1895-98. (Pack Library ID B477-8)|
|B636-11M||George Masa. Pack Square North S. & E, ca. 1930. Steps down between the monument and the fountain went to underground restrooms. East end of Pack Square North at left, the Oates Building on the end. Asheville City Hall (1926) and both the 1903 and the 1928 Buncombe County Courthouse left of Vance Monument. Pack Square South Right of monument (R to L): Pack Memorial Library (#2); Legal Building (#10); with Central Bank and Trust (#6-8), with weather bureau equipment on the roof; Commerce Building (#20); Westall Building (#20) and Jackson Building (#22). W.H. Westall Lumber Co (Spruce St. #39) behind the monument. McIntyre building at NE Pack Square houses Central Cafe, Mercurio's Fruits, and Busse Pleating & Button Co. Older courthouse probably demolished by the end of 1929. (Pack Library B636-11M)|
|B704-8||William P. Hughes. Men gathering to enlist in the Confederate Army. Area of Patton Avenue & Pack Square S, and the Pack Square Cigar Store. Advertisement for W.P. Hughes' Art Gallery, Greensboro. appeared in Asheville paper 9/18/1860. Ten companies enlisted in Asheville; this probably is NOT the Buncombe Rifles. (Some controversy as to possibility might be in Greensboro, though as of Dec 2005 G'boro archivist has not been able to positively identify as such) (Pack Library B704-8)|
|B751-8||Herbert W. Pelton photo of parade welcoming the Old Hickory Association to its reunion in September, 1920. View from the Victory Arch across Patton Avenue. Intersection with Lexington Ave. where the front truck (or bus) is standing. On the left front corn is the Bon Marche at #19-23. On the right front corner is the Louisiana "Hotel" boarding house at #20. The left far corner is McGraw's ladies clothing store. The window right with woman leaning out is stenciled "Harvest S. Hester, Real Estate", whose office (room 4-5) was located in the Harkins Building at #26-28. Vance Monument in Pack Square in the center background. (Pack Library ID 751-8)|
|B958-8||Streetcar (electric trolley) #6 which ran between Biltmore and Asheville. The side reads "Asheville and Biltmore St. Ry. Co." A conductor is standing at each door and a few passengers are visible. Published in "History of Railroading in WNC" [RefNC385.09756Poo] p56 (top) which date ca. 1910] (Pack Library ID 958-8)|
|C074-8||Pack Square SW, February 1895. Buildings (L to R): Smith Drugs (#1 Main St S; listed as #13 in 1896), Western Hotel & "Ballard, Rich & Boyce" (Pack Sq. SW #9; Rich & Boyce were tinsmiths), vacant #7. Western Carolina Bank (#5), Powell and Snyder (1-3). Winter scene following fire Feb. 7, 1895. published by T.H. Lindsey, "Views of Western North Carolina." (Pack Library ID #C074-8)|
|C080-0||Pack Square SW on Dec. 22, 1897 at the ceremonies of the Masons for the laying of the cornerstone for Vance Monument. The masons are standing in a line in front. Buildings (R to L): Powell & Snyder (#1-3 Pack Sq. SW), the Western Carolina Bank (#5), #7 Pack Sq SW showing signs for "J.M. Alexander--a harness manufacturer" and W.O. Roberts-- manufacturer of Fine Custom Made Shoes." (Courtesy Pack Library ID C080-0)|
|C263-5||Herbert W. Pelton, 1876 Court House is in center background, the last courthouse on site of Pack Square. Photo shows overflow crowd at Pack Square on September 1, 1902 when Teddy Roosevelt spoke there. (Pack Library ID C263-5)|
|E575-8||"Prairie Schooner" hitched to two mules, standing along a sidewalk near a corner (with gas streetlamp) of Pack Square NW. Date 1896-97. Published by Lindsey & Brown, Land of the Sky, Views of WNC. (Pack Library ID E575-8)|
|F309-8||William A. Barnhill. View of Pack Square from NW to SE, ca. 1920. "Welcome Home" banner by "War Camp Community Service," who has an office in the American National Bank....(Pack Library F309-8)|
|K411-N||Aerial photo looking down on Pack Square toward the north. The south-side of the Revell Building and the entrance of the Langren Hotel at the corner of College and Broadway are clearly visible but it is hard to read the business signs on the North Pack Square. (Courtesy Pack Library K411-N)|
|M559-8||Herbert W. Pelton, Mock Funeral of Kaiser Bill on Pack Square on November 18, 1918 (or possibly on November 11, the day news of the armistice was reported).. Shows happy crowd gathered around auto pulling coffin. (with color and damaged). (Courtesy Pack Library M559-8[Same as 1251])|
|M844-8||Drawing of City Building and County Court House (Pack Library ID M844-8)|
|MA029-4||George Masa (?) Victory Arch erected in 1919 in honor of the WWI veterans on Patton Avenue. Seen from Vance Monument through the Triumphal Arch "SALVE - HOW THEY COME BACK PROUD AND HIGH UNCROWNED TO THE SUN ALL THE SORROWS OVER WITH - ALL THE BATTLES DONE (Pack Library ID MA029-4)|
|UNCA SPECIAL COLLECTIONS|
|ball1246||Fire in the Emporium Department Store, just off Pack Square, looking south. July 25, 1923.|
|ball1048||Ceremony with Troops on Pack Square|
|ball1054||Pack Square. Silent film, "Conquest of Canaan" scene being shot on Pack Square, 1921.|
|ball1055||Pack Square. Silent film, "Conquest of Canaan" crowd scene on Pack Square, 1921.|
|ball1056||Pack Square. Silent film, "Conquest of Canaan" crowd scene on Pack Square, 1921.|
|ball1057||Pack Square. Silent film, "Conquest of Canaan" crowd scene on Pack Square 1921.|
|ball1058||Pack Square Candy Kitchen: owners in 1927 were William G. Pete and J. G. Lamprinakos.|
|ball1059||Movie, ''Conquest of Canaan'' scene being shot on Pack Square. Photo shows fountain and Vance monument in center of square and stores on north side of square.|
|ball1251||Herbert W. Pelton, Mock Funeral of Kaiser Bill on Pack Square on November 18, 1918 (or possibly on November 11, the day news of the armistice was reported).. Shows happy crowd gathered around auto pulling coffin.|
|ball1252||Possibly a copy of photograph.World War I parade on Biltmore avenue looking towards Pack Square. Bon Marche department store is to the left.|
|ball1263||First reunion of soldiers from the Thirtieth Division, also known as Old Hickory. A majority of Asheville soldiers served within its ranks.|
|ball1364||Morris Plan Bank 1931-1939. Bank view.|
|ball1629||County Court House, completed|
|ball1631||Courthouse, under construction.|
|ball1632||Exterior of Asheville City Building with some construction remaining at side and dirt parking in front of building. Art Deco in architectural style. Cubical brick form with creamy pink Georgia marble skin.|
|ball1733||Filming [ Conquest of Canaan] movie, at Pack Square, crowd, 1921|
|ball1874||Pack Memorial Library, circa 1930's?. [Second Pack Library]|
|ball2075||"Save Food" 120 million Allies must eat, United States Food Administration - Sign in front of the Vance Monument in Pack Square|
|ball2320||Fire in the Emporium Department Store on July 25, 1923. The store located at 2 Biltmore Avenue was battled from the roof of the Pack Memorial Library building (First Nations Bank Building) with little success. The photograph is by Herbert Pelton and is included in the E.M Ball Photographic Collection.|
|ball2342||Patton Avenue, 1898.|
|ball2345||Bingham Academy cadets on parade in Pritchard Park, 1896, with many onlookers.|
|ball2352||Pack Square, facing west, same as N2352 but cropped, several exposures, 1913. (N2353) view of pack square with old fountain|
|ball2362||Photograph of a drawing in a book depicting street scene in front of old court House and the Asheville Citizen building. The 1876 Court House was located on Pack Square on the north side of current Fountain.|
|ball2368||Asheville, circa 1902. Conestoga wagon on Pack Square|
|The original Kenilworth Inn stood just above the junction of South Main street and the Swannanoa River road. It burned in April of 1909.|
|bcch000||[Cover] Dedicating Buncombe County's Court House. December First, Nineteen Hundred and Twenty eight|
|bcch013||A Brief History of Buncombe County by F.A. Sondley,
"Excerpts from a paper prepared for the ceremony of the laying of the corner-stone for the New Court-House, November 7th, 1927.
It is well established that the Spanish exploration under Hernando DeSoto in 1540 passed through Western North Carolina and through Buncombe County. For years thereafter Spaniards conducted large mining operations at various places in what is now called Western North Carolina. They made no permanent settlement there.
The English claimed the country because of the discovery of North America in 1497 by John and Sebastian Cabot. The British King Charles I, in 1631 granted to Sir Robert Heath a vast territory in which was included all North Carolina except a narrow strip along its northern border. Little or nothing resulted from this grant. In 1663 the British monarch Charles II, made a grant to Edward Earl of Clarendon; George, Duke of Albermarle; William, Earl of Craven; John, Lord Berkley; Anthony, Lord Ashley; Sir George Carteret; Sir John Colleton; and Sir William Berkeley, know as the Lords Proprietors, conveying to them a large scope of country, in which was included all North Carolina except a narrow strip immediately south of Virginia. This same monarch in 1665 made to these Lords Proprietors a second grant by which he greatly enlarged their holdings on the south and added to them on the north so as to embrace all of North Carolina. From these two grants to the Lords Proprietors North Carolina arose.
BUNCOMBE COUNTY'S PEDIGREE
The Lords Proprietors soon laid off their lands into counties. The "first Government or County was that of Clarendon County on the Cape Fear River so called from the Earl of that title first mentioned in the Charter." In 1729 this County of Clarendon embraced within its borders the County of Buncombe. At that time the County of New Hanover, with indefinite western limits which seem to have extended to the Pacific Ocean, then called the South Sea; was formed, and the name of Clarendon as a county disappeared. From New Hanover in 1738 was cut off the County of Bladen whose western limits were not defined. From the County of Bladen was formed in 1749 the county of Anson, and its western border was not prescribed. Here Buncombe's genealogy branches in two prongs, to be united again in her own creation.
That portion of her original territory which was taken from Burke County is traced as follows: In 1758 Rowan County was formed from a part of Anson County and continued in its entirety up to the Revolutionary War; but in 1777 was formed from its western extension a county called Burke from a governor of North Carolina.
That portion of Buncombe's original territory which was taken from Rutherford County is traced as follows: In 1762 was formed from the western part of the County of Anson a county named Mecklenburg in honor of the new English Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg in 1768 from the western part of Mecklenburg was erected a county called Tryon in honor of the royal Governor Tryon of North Carolina; but in 1779, while the Revolutionary War was in progress, the name of Tryon for a county was dropped ....
|bcch014||.. and that county was divided into two counties, one on
the east called Lincoln and the other on the west called Rutherford, in
honor of General Griffith Rutherford.
In 1792, while David Vance from the upper Reems Creek settlement was member of the legislature from Burke County, and Colonel William Davidson, who lived on the south side of Swannanoa River about one-fourth of a mile below Biltmore, was a member of the legislature from Rutherford County, the County of Buncombe was created from the western ends of Burke and Rutherford Counties and named in honor of Colonel Edward Buncombe of eastern North Carolina, who received the wound which led to his death at the Battle of Germantown while fighting on the American side in the Revolutionary War. The western and southern boundaries of Buncombe County were then made the territory which is the State of Tennessee and the States of Georgia and South Carolina as they now are.
In 1842 was formed from the counties of Burke and Rutherford a new county by the name of McDowell; and, under an act of the legislature passed in 1925 that section of McDowell County known as Broad River Township became a part of Buncombe County.
In the meanwhile, Buncombe County has lost most of the area of its original creation. In 1808 that part of the original territory which lies west of its present western border became the new County of Haywood; in 1828 the western part of Macon County became the new County of Cherokee; in 1861 the southeastern corner of Cherokee County became the new County of Clay; in 1853 parts of Haywood and Macon County became the new County of Cherokee; in 1861 the southeastern corner of Cherokee County became the new County of Clay; in 1853 parts of Haywood and Macon Counties became the new County of Jackson; in 1870-1871 parts of Macon and Jackson Counties became the new County of Swain; in 1871-1872 a part of Cherokee County became the new County of Graham. In 1833 Yancey County was formed from parts of Burke and Buncombe Counties. In 1850 Madison County was formed from parts of Buncombe and Yancey Counties. In 1838 Henderson County was formed from the southern end of Buncombe County; and in 1851 another part of Buncombe County was added to Henderson County. In 1861 Transylvania County was formed from parts of Henderson and Jackson Counties. Thus eleven counties of North Carolina have for their territories lands which were embraced in the original County of Buncombe, the present Yancey County territory and that territory taken from Yancey County in making Madison County both being parts of territory taken from Buncombe County in forming Yancey County.
When the legislature created the County of Buncombe it appointed a committee of six members to determine the location of the County Seat, three from the country south of Swannanoa River and three from the country north of that stream. Each set of committeemen wished to have the county-town on its side of the river. They disagreed and the next legislature substituted a new committee for the work, of the same number from each side of the river, but, in order to insure a decision, added the committee William Morrison from Burke County. The report of the committee which placed the location north of the river was signed only by the committeemen who lived north of that stream and William Morrison. The delay thus caused in locating the county-town was the reason for the County Court's meeting so long at the residence of Colonel William Davidson
|bcch015||The first court house of the county was a log structure
built across the head of Patton Avenue at the place where that avenue
entered Main Street or the Public Square. At that court house was held
the first court which met in what is now Asheville.
The land of Samuel Chunn and Zebulon Baird on which this court house was constructed was that part of the Public Square immediately in front of the Thomas Building on the western side of the Public Square and the southern side of Patton Avenue at the corner, and the land of James Brittain and Andrew Erwin spoken of was that part of the Public Square in front of the Adhwville Library and a little to the north. In April, 1805, it was "Ordered by court (that) John Strother, John Stephenson, Samuel Murray, Senr., Joseph Henry, and Thomas Foster, Senr., be appointed commissioners for the purpose of procuring a public square, from the lot, or land holders in the town of Asheville, most convenient and interesting to the public, and least injurious to individuals, that the nature of the Case will admit of "Who are to meet the 2d Saturday of July."
On January 23, 1807, deeds were made to "the Commissioners, Samuel Murray, Enr., Thomas Foster, Jacob Byler, Thomas Love and James Brittain appointed by the General Assembly of the State aforesaid to purchase or secure by donation lands sufficient for a Public Square in the Town of Asheville, in the County and State aforesaid, as follows:
What is said here about the Court House renders it probable that it was not the original log structure but a more commodious building. Later its place was taken by a brick house built between 1825 and 1833 in the erection of which John Woodfin, at a later time Chairman of the County Court, had control and his son, the late N.W. Woodfin, then a boy, carried mortar and bricks. This last gave way to a handsome brick building which was erected from bricks of the burned house on the part of the Public Square now occupied by the fountain, the burned building having stood where the Vance Monument is now. The contractor for building the small one-story brick house just mentioned was the late B.H. Merrimon.
In 1876 this small one-story house was replace by a pretentious brick house which occupied its site made of bricks burned at the eastern end of Clayton Street; and of it J.A. Tennent was the architect and H.W. Scott the contractor. Then, in 1903 the present brick courthouse was built on the southern side of College Street while M.L.Reed was chairman of the County Commissioners. Kenneth McDonald was its architect and it was placed upon land conveyed to the County on certain conditions by the late George W. Pack for a county Court House."
View of Asheville from "Beaucatcher Mountain,"
from King, pl. 1,
|City Building, Asheville, NC; Section; Sheet No.11|
|lydaM0008||Preparatory Design for County Building. Milburn. Heister and Co., Architects, Washington D.C.; Angle-Blackford Co., General Contractors, Greensboro, N.C. [Not executed]|
|lydaM0009||Preparatory Design for County Building. Milburn. Heister and Co., Architects, Washington D.C.; Angle-Blackford Co., General Contractors, Greensboro, N.C. [Not executed]|
|lydaM0010||Preparatory Design for County Building. Milburn. Heister and Co., Architects, Washington D.C.; Angle-Blackford Co., General Contractors, Greensboro, N.C. [not executed]|
|lydaM0011||Preparatory Drawing for City Building. Douglas Ellington.|
|lydaM0014||City Building, Asheville, NC; Roof Plan; Sheet No.10|
|lydaM0018||City Building, Asheville, NC; Pack Square Elevation; Sheet No.12|
|lydaM0269a||Letter to E. M. Lyda and the County Board of Commissioners
and Associates, from S. P. Mears of S. P. Mears Ladies' and Men's
Furnishings, 149 West Haywood Street, Asheville. August 8, 1927.
Letter commenting at length on an article found in the Sunday Times that suggests the valuation taxes will be raised. He notes that the "Reckoning Day" is coming and that a "few are profiting while three Fourths of Asheville's citizens are now out of profitable income and employment to sustain their homes and present Cost of living in Asheville."
|rogers0005||View of Asheville with Old Battery Park Hotel on Hill and Pack Square in front center, from Roger's Asheville, (1890's).|
|rogers0006||Court Square [Pack Square]. Vance Monument ; Court House ; City Hall ; Palmetto Building ; Asheville Library, from Roger's Asheville, (1890's).|
|rogers0025||"Coming to Town," Oxen and Conestoga wagon from Roger's Asheville, (1890's)|
|rogers0028a||View of [Manyoaks] 'Many Oaks' home of G.W. Pack in Asheville, N.C. in Roger's Asheville, (1890's). Detail of page showing Asheville Residences: George W. Pack [top left]. J.E. Rumbaugh [top right]. Connally Residence [bottom left]. The Bungalow [bottom right].|
|Promotional literature for the Southern Railway system. The Sunny South, a 34 page booklet with illustrations by E.H. Suydam. "Asheville, N.C -- The principal city of the 'Land of the Sky' country: Altitude, 1288 feet. The Southern Railway System Lines Center at Asheville from four directions, affording excellent passenger train accommodations and through sleeping car service from and to the principal cities, North, East, South, and West."|
|Promotional literature for the Southern Railway system. The Sunny South, a 34 page booklet with illustrations by E.H. Suydam. Map of the southern American states and the routes of the Southern Railway System.|
|PACK SQUARE CONSERVANCY|
|Artist's rendering of aerial view of the proposed new Pack Square. (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|Childhood||Urban Trail sculpture, "Childhood," at corner of Pack Square, across from the Jackson Building. (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|Artist's rendering of the proposed Pavilion at Pack Square, daytime view. (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|Artist's rendering of the proposed Pavilion at Pack Square, night view. (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|An etching completed by Sidney L. Smith, of Boston. "... is considered a good likeness of Mr. Pack as he appeared in Cleveland in 1883. (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|An etching completed by Sidney L. Smith, of Boston. "... is considered a good likeness of Mr. Pack as he appeared in Cleveland in 1883. (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy) [same as above]|
|"...an excellent likeness of Mr. Pack at the age of twenty-three years, and is the work of Bierstadt, from a miniature painted on ivory by William W. Scott. The frame surrounding the portrait is copied from the original gold frame." (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|Photogravure of G.W. Pack by Bierstadt, "from the original life-size portrait painted by Daniel Huntington in 1893," (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|Geo. W. Pack, reproduction by Bierstadt after a carbon picture made by James L. Breese, 1896. (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|A photogravure "by the New York Photogravure and Color Company, shows "Manyoaks," the North Carolina home of Mr. Pack, in the Winter of 1897-98." (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|(Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|(Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|"Memories" of Mary Pack, written in 1939, page 1. (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|"Memories" of Mary Pack, written in 1939, page 2. (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|"Memories" of Mary Pack, written in 1939, page 3. (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|Artist's rendering of the proposed Pack Square (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|View of new Pack Square under construction. (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|View of the paving of Spruce Street (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|SitePlan||Artist's rendering of the proposed Pack Square site plan. (Courtesy Pack Square Conservancy)|
|"Registration at the South - Scene at Asheville, North Carolina - Sketches by A.W. Thompson" from Harper's magazine, 1867.|
|zeig||"Swannanoa Hotel", Plate from Wilbur Zeigler and Ben Grosscup. The Heart of the Alleghenies: or, Western North Carolina, comprising its topography, history, resources, people, narratives, incidents, and pictures of travel, adventures in hunting and fishing and legends of its wildernesses. Raleigh, N.C.: Williams & Co. ; Cleveland, OH, W.W. Williams, 1883.|