Printed Music Collection
Table of Contents
- UNC Asheville Special Collections and University Archives
- Printed Music Collection
- Date [bulk]
- Bulk, 1900-1940
- Date [inclusive]
- 8.0 Linear feet ; 10 boxes and one lateral file drawer
- Physical Description
- Contains printed music in both single sheets, and song books. There are also a small number of loose covers from sheets and books. As the collection is believed to have come from one than one source, and any original order has been long lost, the contents have been alphabetized by song or book title within the three broad groups mentioned previously. Copyright and/or publication dates are included where these have been identified, but many items are undated.
- Single sheets are boxed and located in Special Collections row 14, section 3. Books and loose cover are in Special Collections VF6
- English, with some French and German
[Identification of item], Printed Music Collection, D.H. Ramsey Library, Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Asheville 28804
Scope and Contents
The collection comprises approximately 1,350 sheets of music, and almost 160 books of music, plus a small number of loose covers that have more artistic value, than music value. Many styles of music are included, but the majority of the collection is either classical music, or tunes from vaudeville and theatrical shows of the early 20th century. A number of the books are tutors for use by music students. In addition to the musical content, many of the items, especially the sheets of music, are noteworthy for their cover art.
UNC Asheville Special Collections and University ArchivesRamsey Library, CPO # 1500
One University Heights
Asheville, North Carolina, 28804-8504
No restrictions. Any display, publication, or public use must credit the University Archives, D.H. Ramsey Library, Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Asheville. Copyright retained by the creators of certain items in the collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
In 2011, Ramsey Library received from Michael Harty Jones, a donation of a large number of music books and sheet music collected by his father, Dr. Thomas Ernest Jones, and it is this donation that is thought to form the bulk of this collection. In addition, some materials are believed to have been donated in 2005 by student at UNC Asheville, and others received from Highland Hospital in Asheville. At some point all these materials appear to have been combined into a single collection.
Originally processed by Special Collection staff and students in 2011, with further processing by Sofia Otero, a UNC Asheville student in 2015. Tabular listings and new finding aid by Colin Reeve, January 2017.
Single Sheet Music
Arranged by the first letter of the song / musical piece
Arranged by first letter of the book title
Arranged by first letter of song / musical piece, or book, title