Appalachian Hall Photograph Collection
Table of Contents
- UNC Asheville Special Collections and University Archives
- Appalachian Hall Photograph Collection
- Date [inclusive]
- 1.0 Linear feet ; 4 photographs
- Physical Description
- Contains photographic prints
- Located in Special Collections lateral file drawer
Appalachian Hall Photograph Collection, D.H. Ramsey Library, Special Collections, University of North Carolina Asheville
In 1916, Appalachian Hall hospital was opened at 179 South French Broad Avenue in Asheville by a group of local businessmen but, within a year, it had been sold to brothers Dr. William Ray Griffin, and Dr. Mark A. Griffin. In 1931 the brothers bought the Kenilworth Inn on Caledonia Road, and moved the hospital to that location.
The Griffin family owned the hospital until 1981, when it was purchased by Psychiatric Institutes of America. The following year PIA was purchased by National Medical Enterprises Inc., who subsequently renamed Appalachian Hall as Highland Hall. Highland Hall was sold to Charter Medical Corporation in 1994, and was closed in 2000.
[Adapted from an article by Mark Barrett, Asheville Citizen-Times, 29 Jan 200]
Scope and Contents
Two prints of the Appalachian Hall psychiatric hospital when it was located on South French Broad Avenue in Asheville, and two prints of graduating nursing classes. The prints were removed from frames, but are in the original mounts with titles. The titles have been included in the item descriptions.
UNC Asheville Special Collections and University ArchivesRamsey Library, CPO # 1500
One University Heights
Asheville, North Carolina, 28804-8504
No restrictions. Any display, publication, or public use must credit the D.H. Ramsey Library, Special Collections, University of North Carolina Asheville. Copyright retained by the creators of certain items in the collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Processed by Colin Reeve, June 2018
Front entrance of Appalachian Hall original site on South French Broad Avenue, 1916-1931 ; 9.5" x 7.25" print, mounted
Side view of original site showing arbor and gardens, 1916-1931 ; 9" x 6.25" print, mounted
Dr. Mark A. Griffin, Sr., and Dr. William R. Griffin, Sr., with the first graduating nursing class of Appalachian Hall, 1929 ; 9.5" x 7.25" print, mounted
Dr. Mark A. Griffin, Sr., and Dr. William R. Griffin, Sr., with the last graduating nursing class of Appalachian Hall, 1934 ; 9.5" x 7.25" print, mounted